Sunday, November 20, 2011

Small Blessings

I posted this on our family blog, but I thought it would also be appropriate here. I tend to get pretty negative when I talk about the challenges of infertility, so I thought I would try and put in a positive note.



It's often easy for me to get so focused on the challenges in life that I don't recognize the blessings in my life. We all have challenges, but we are all also very blessed. I've been working on recognizing those little blessings in life that make life joyful:

- I've been working with one of my little violin students for about three months, and last week she finally played Twinkle Twinkle Little Star all the way through. It was such an achievement! Her mother and I cheered and cheered, and she looked like she had just won the New York Marathon. It was such a glorious moment.

- We had a studio recital for my university students a few weeks ago. One student in particular has been struggling with feelings of confidence. When we met for his lesson the day before the recital, he told me that he had every intention of "falling flat on his face" in the recital, including memory problems. He told me that if it did happen, he would just walk off stage without finishing the performance. After a long talk he agreed to try and change his thinking. At the recital, he performed beautifully. Another great moment.

- I am the nursery leader in my ward. Sunday is always an adventure. We have a junior and senior nursery to help create a little more order, and it works quite well. The other week we decided to play some games in senior nursery. Duck duck goose is always a favorite. We start out playing it the normal way, but slowly the game unravels as random kids decide they want to be "it", or be the one chased, or as kids demand their same seat back when they sit down. It ends with the three adults sitting in the circle while all of the children are running around in a circle chasing each other. It never fails to make me laugh.

- I don't spend a whole lot of time in junior nursery (18 months-2 years), mostly because we only have a few kids in there and they most just sit quietly playing with toys. I do, however, bring in the treats each week since the food is stored in the senior nursery room. The kids have been well trained to recognize me as "the food lady", and whenever I come in they try to get the table and chairs out, and they get so excited. They get very upset if I come in early just to check on them and I don't have food. These little guys may not be able to talk yet, but they are sure entertaining.

- Tuesday afternoons are a treasured time in my family. Every week I go out to lunch with my mom and two sisters. We go to a different place every time. Sometimes one or more of us has already eaten, but we still come because we always have a great time talking and laughing. Wherever we go, we always seem to be the loudest table.

I already feel better. I know that I am truly blessed, and I'm going to work harder at recognizing those little blessings as they come.

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading these. I can picture each one of these things like they happened to me. And I love our Tuesday lunch get-togethers, too. I hope we can do it forever. Love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete