Thursday, November 10, 2011

A Big Fat Question Mark

I finally heard back from the doctor on the semen analysis. Apparently the results originally got sent to the wrong doctor with the same last name in the same city, so some foot doctor or someone now knows all about my husband's sperm count. :)

Anyway, hubby passed with flying colors. For those who are not "in the know" with sperm counts, anything over 20 million is considered normal. Hubby is over 60 million. Needless to say, he was quite pleased with himself. We figured he wasn't the problem, but at least now we know for sure. I'm the broken one.

I forgot to mention that the doctor put me on Metformin a few weeks about. It is actually medication for diabetics to regulate blood sugar, but it has proven to work well in helping women ovulate and get pregnant, so we are giving it a try. It is much cheaper than Clomid, but it makes me nauseated in the mornings. We'll try it for a few months and see what happens, but if all of that Clomid didn't work, I kind of have my doubts with this stuff.

The doc was happy with hubby's test results, but now we are back to "I don't know". That is the worst thing to hear from a doctor, and I have heard it many times. In his words, "According to all the tests you've done and all the medication you've been on, you should be pregnant several times over by now. I don't know why you're not". That is so frustrating! Every time we do a test or procedure, part of me is hoping they will find something that will explain our infertility, even if the prognosis is not great. At least then we would know. I feel so helpless in this situation.

The doc said that the only thing left to test for is endometriosis. He said that I'm not having many symptoms of it, but it is pretty much the only thing left to look for. The test is actually a laproscopy, which is an exploratory surgery. They will go through a small hole in my abdomen and look around for endometrial cells where they shouldn't be. It will be a day surgery, so the recovery shouldn't be too bad, but it is still surgery. At this point, it's the only that makes sense to do. If it is endometriosis, they may be able to take care of it during the same surgery, but if it is too bad there won't be much they can do.

So at least we have something more to do. Action is so much better than sitting and waiting and going crazy. We'll probably schedule it for sometime over Christmas break. Merry Christmas to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment