Thursday, March 8, 2012

Happy and Hopeful

My husband and I went to my follow-up appointment yesterday afternoon. I feel like I'm recovering very well, and I'm cleared to go back to the gym today! It was very interesting hearing the doctor describe what he saw during surgery. I mentioned that he found a moderate amount of endometriosis. He said it was on the mild side of moderate, but enough that it was significant (Okay, this is where it starts to get graphic. Reader beware). The doctor labeled all of the pictures he took, and one of the pictures had a bunch of liquid. he saw it was a pool of menstrual blood that had backed up out of the fallopian tubes. I guess it's called retrograde menses. They think it could be a cause of endometriosis. He did say that I had beautiful fallopian tubes. :) The most interesting part was my appendix. He was surprised at how bad my appendix looked, but after they took it out they took it to the lab, and it was full of endometriosis! I didn't even know that was possible. The doctor said it was pretty unusual.

At the end of this, I asked the doctor, "Now what?" "Now, you get pregnant!", he said. He said he has a very good feeling that this was the cause of our infertility. He feels confident that we will be pregnant within three months, but if it doesn't happen in 6 we go back in. He didn't even prescribe us any fertility medication, he's that sure we won't need it.

It's hard to describe how I felt after the appointment. I felt whole. I felt not broken. I felt like any other girl who is just starting out trying to get pregnant. At the end of the appointment the doctor talked to us about what kind of prenatal vitamins he prefers for pregnancies. He talked about it like it was no big deal. I couldn't help it. I cried the whole way home. I feel whole again. At least for now.

2 comments:

  1. This is such encouraging news! I am so excited for you.
    Now... I'd just like to point out that it's now been three weeks. All I'm sayin' is that I'll be ready to hear more whenever you feel ready to share...;)
    Sooo....Take care!(psst! Did I mention it's been three weeks? tee hee)

    ReplyDelete